Cambodia remains one of the poorest countries in Asia following the brutal genocide by the Khmer Rouge, when almost two million people lost their lives. In the rural villages where LWB is now working, many children have little access to medical care or quality education.
More than 75% of the children in one village we are helping suffer from chronic malnutrition, and without intervention more than half won’t finish primary school. Childhood health suffers greatly as access to medical services and clean water is difficult in the rural regions. Illiteracy, child labor and trafficking are sadly common.
LWB has made a commitment to the children in several rural villages along the border region with the following initiatives:
- Establishing village Believe in Me schools so all children can have access to education
- Implementing a daily hot lunch program for those in our schools
- Providing loving foster care for children who are orphaned or who have suffered the trauma of trafficking
- Delivering pediatric medical services to those with unmet needs
- Providing secondary and higher education opportunities to rural teens
Check out our newest video here. If you have a few minutes to spare, we think you’ll enjoy seeing some of the wonderful children in our LWB programs in rural Cambodia who are growing, learning, and thriving as the result of our amazing supporters. You’ll also meet our team members who are making a lasting difference in their communities every day.