Meet Sunflower Project Students
We would like you to meet Hui, Yi, Yu Feng, Xiao Yu, and Guang Ting. These older children are a part of our education program's new Sunflower Project to help students from impoverished families receive an education. Each has a compelling story, and each deserves an opportunity.
- Hui lives with his elderly grandfather. His mother died when he was a little boy, and his father passed away this year after being ill for many years. Hui and his grandfather plant tea on the hillside in an effort to make ends meet, but there are no funds available for education.
- Yi's parents were divorced when he was young, and he was unable to see his mother afterward. Yi lives with his grandmother and father, but his father, at the urging of relatives, left earlier this year to try to find work in another province; he has been unable to find employment due to his lack of education and work skills. The family lives in impoverished conditions, and Yi reports that his bed is made from some pieces of wood set on two wood seats.
- Yu Feng lives with only his sister. His father died in a car accident when he was young, and his mother remarried and moved far away five years later. Yu Feng and his sister relied on their grandfather until he passed away last year. He reports that they "feel lonely indeed." They do not have a source of income, and relatives and neighbors help with meals.
- Xiao Yu lives with her father, mother, and younger brother. Her father is mentally ill, and her mother has health issues. The family plants wheat on a small piece of land and the mother tries to earn a little money when she can, but it is not enough to support their family. Xiao Yu's brother stopped studying to work in the factory this year.
- Guang Ting's father passed away in 2007. Her mother runs a small restaurant, which barely covers the daily living expenses for their family. An older sister and two younger brothers also live at home. Their life is very hard.
Monthly sponsorships of $20 will help these students attend school and provide the gift of education. Sponsors will receive quarterly updates and photos and are given the opportunity to write letters of encouragement to their sponsored students. It is our goal and desire to help these students improve their own lives and ultimately their communities. We hope you will consider joining us to make a difference in the lives of these deserving young people.